Bestowal of Anglican Catholic Episcopate
The word “Anglican” means English. The Anglican Catholic Church is so called because it adheres to the Catholic Faith as it was received by and from the Church of England in the days of its orthodoxy.
In 1977 an international congress of nearly 2,000 Anglican bishops, clergy, and lay people met in St. Louis, Missouri, to take the actions necessary to establish an orthodox jurisdiction in which traditional Anglicanism would be maintained, by returning to the fullness of the Faith of the undivided Catholic Church. Acting according to the principles determined by the seven great Ecumenical Councils of the ancient Church and adopting initially the name “Anglican Church of North America”, they placed themselves under the jurisdiction of the retired bishop of Springfield, Illinois, the Right Reverend Albert Chambers.
In January 1978 Bishop Chambers expanded that jurisdiction and devolved it upon others, by taking order for the consecration of four more bishops. From these four bishops have come two jurisdictions, the Anglican Catholic Church and the Anglican Province of Christ the King, which now maintain orthodox Anglicanism in North America and beyond.
Bishop Chambers died in 1993. His steadfast faith and courage earned him a notable place in the history of world Anglicanism.
ALMIGHTY GOD, who by thy Son Jesus Christ didst give to thy holy Apostles many excellent gifts, and didst charge them to feed thy flock: give grace, we beseech thee, to all Bishops, the Pastors of thy Church, that they may diligently preach thy Word, and duly administer the godly discipline thereof; and grant to thy people, that they may obediently follow the same, that all may receive the crown of everlasting glory. Through the same Christ our Lord, who with thee and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth ever one God, world without end. Amen.
Excerpt from “A Brief History,” the Right Reverend James Bromley, Anglican Parishes Association. Collect from The Anglican Breviary, Frank Gavin Liturgical Foundation, Inc., New York, 1955, page 1910
Ordo Kalendars are available from the Anglican Parishes Association Book Publisher.